February 7, 2011

Weeks 4 & 5

My niece, once again.  This time she's munching on a fortune cookie.  Her smile cracks me up.

 I couldn't think of anything to take a pic of this day, and I had just hung these up, so...  The birdcage image is from the Graphics Fairy.  I got the bird on the bottom at Hobby Lobby a year or so back on clearance.

I started working on my kitchen.  The first day I got a few cabinets painted gray.  I will post non-Hipstamatic photos of the kitchen when it's all done.

 Still painting cabinets.  They took forever.

 More cabinet PAIN-ting.  Still, it had to be done.  We never painted the cabinets when we moved in.  We started the process, and all the doors and drawers were sanded and then for some reason rehung.  It was a bit too shabby to be shabby-chic.  :)  They look soooo much better now.

The last day of painting cabinets!  Hooray!!

I started painting the walls in my kitchen this day.  The new color is so soothing.  I love it.  Definitely better than the cornflower blue on my walls before.

I painted the hall between the dining room and my kitchen.  This was the best change.  The color before was this bright, cheery yellow that I loved in sunlight.  The problem was that, at night, with the lights on, it looked like the yellow of banana Laffy Taffys.  Hideous.  We originally painted the walls before we moved in, and we did all the work during the day.  I had no way of knowing how bad it would look with artificial lighting.  Oh well.  It's gone now.

 I built a new shelf for my pantry.  I wanted to move our toaster oven and our microwave in there so I would have more counter space.  The shelf is a temporary solution.  I want to eventually build in wooden shelves in the whole space (which is pretty large for a pantry).  I have a plan, I just need the time to do it.  After the kitchen is done.

The pre-blizzard snowfall.  This only gave us a couple of inches.  It was pretty, though.  I was so excited for the blizzard.  I didn't have to go anywhere and our house was already pretty well stocked.  I figure, what's the point in worrying about it?  I still try to see things the way I did when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure kid me would have been glued to the window the entire time, just watching.  So, that's pretty much what I did during the whole thing.

 Blizzard!!!  If you look closely, you can barely make out the mail truck across the street.  Poor guy.  I would not have wanted to be out in all that blowing snow.  The sad thing is, he probably mostly delivered junk mail.  I only received ads for Dish Network and Farmers Insurance.  Nothing good.
 This is our car the day after the blizzard.  This was such a hassle to get unburied.  Luckily a neighbor let us borrow their snow blower.  Bless their sweet little hearts.  There was just too much snow for our one little snow shovel.  The end of our drive had about 4 feet of snow, between the wind and the snowplows.  It would have taken us forever!!

 I got this at Meijer on sale.  I have a thing for cows, and I have been wanting one of these for a while.  I believe this one was $3.47, which is tough to beat.  I think I may leave it up beyond Valentines Day.  A little touch of red never hurt anyone.

A door stopper makeover.  I painted it the same color as my kitchen walls, to bring a bit of the color into the hallway (which is a light tan color).  I then gave it a bit of glaze, wiped it down and ta-da!  It's so much better!!

Thanks for looking at the photos.  I know they're not fancy, but they're not supposed to be.  They're just a diary for me.  Something to look back at later and remember what I was doing.  I'm just into my Hipstamatic app right now.  It's sooo much fun.

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures are great and you are doing an amazing job! I also adore your little niece..She is a cutie! Happy Monday, darling